Just got your tattoo? Wondering what to do next? Perhaps you’re doing research, trying to find the best lotion for tattoos. Aveeno is a brand that’s often mentioned alongside the word tattoo as an aftercare product.
But, is Aveeno good for tattoos? We’ll look at what a good tattoo lotion should have and whether or not Aveeno is a good choice for your healing tattoo.
What Does a Good Tattoo Lotion Look Like?
To understand whether or not Aveeno is good for tattoos, you should first look at what a good lotion for tattoos should (and shouldn’t) contain:
- 👍 Shop fragrances-free – The fragrances in the lotion may contain chemicals that irritate your tattoo. Avoid them and buy a fragrance-free lotion instead.
- 🚫 Avoid petroleum products – Petroleum products, like Vaseline, block the movement of air over your tattoo, which is necessary for proper healing.
- 👏 Use dispenser bottles – If you can, buy lotions in a dispenser bottle that includes a pump at the top. This is better than a tub that has a chance of introducing bacteria with each use.
- 🙂 Look for non-comedogenic – Non-comedogenic means the lotion will hydrate your skin without clogging your pores. This also aids in helping your skin breathe.
Take these into account not just for Aveeno, but any lotion you look for when buying a lotion for tattoos.
Can You Use Aveeno on Tattoos?
Yes, Aveeno products can be used on tattoos, but not all of them. We recommend Aveeno’s Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion. It’s fragrance-free, non-comedogenic, and lightweight, hydrating your skin and allowing it to breathe for better healing. It also contains oat which contains nourishing properties to help ease swelling and redness.
It’s a common recommendation in the tattoo community. It’s appealing as you get a large bottle for a reasonable price. Using it twice a day
How to Wash Your Tattoo Properly
To ensure your tattoo is getting cleaned thoroughly, make sure you’re washing it properly before you apply Aveeno to your tattoo. Avoid tough scrubbing your tattoo, as it may irritate the tattoo.
- Turn the shower on and make sure it’s lukewarm.
- Wet the tattoo and gently rub the area with a scent-free soap.
- Pat dry the area with a clean towel or paper towel. Be careful not to rub the area.
Washing you tattoo properly helps prevent infections and ensures your pores aren’t clogged with sweat, blood, or plasma. Once you’re done showering and drying your tattoo, it’s time to apply Aveeno to the tattoo area.
How to Apply Aveeno to Your Tattoo
Applying Aveeno lotion to your tattoo is really easy. Make sure that you’ve always washed your hands before applying lotion to a healing tattoo. Unwashed hands touching your tattoo can lead to infection, which could then lead to scarring and disfigurement of the tattoo.
- Wash your hands with warm water and a scent-free soap.
- Appy a thin layer of lotion to the tattoo area, gently covering all of it.
- Using your fingers, gently rub the lotion in using circular motions. Do so until the lotion is no longer visible.
Always apply lotion after showering, as your skin will be dry straight out of the shower. Avoid using too little, as your tattoo may not get enough hydration. Contrarily, don’t use too much either. Although the Aveeno lotion we recommended is non-comedogenic, it’s good practice to avoid excess lotion as it has a chance of clogging your pores.
Aveeno for Tattoos FAQ
Can you use Aveeno on tattoos?
Yes, as long as you choose an Aveeno lotion that's fragrance-free and non-comedogenic. Fragrances contain chemicals that can irritate your tattoo.
Is Aveeno good for tattoos?
Yes. Aveeno has lotions that are great for tattoos. They're affordable and come in generous sizes that will last you throughout your tattoo healing process.
When should you apply lotion to a tattoo?
When your tattoo starts to dry (typically after a day or two), you should begin to apply lotion twice daily. It's important to hydrate your tattoo with lotion every time you shower, as your skin will begin to dry out immediately afterwards.
Yes, Aveeno can be used on your healing tattoo. Just make sure you get an Aveeno lotion that’s fragrance-free and non-comedogenic and your tattoo will thank you for it. Apply a thin layer after every shower to help keep skin hydrated and improve your chances of a healthy, good-looking tattoo.