After getting a new tattoo, you need to keep it clean. Since a new tattoo is basically an open wound, any bacteria can cause a major infection. Extreme infections can even cause lasting damage to the tattoo. Therefore, make sure you’re prepared by getting a soap that can clean your tattoo.
You may be wondering if Dove soap is good for tattoos. There are a large number of Dove soaps available, so you must be careful which Dove soap for tattoos you get. In this article, we’ll break down what Dove soap is best for new tattoos and what you should avoid when shopping for soap for tattoos.
What Makes the Ideal Soap for Tattoos?
If you weren’t already aware, you can’t just buy any old soap you come across to care for your new tattoo. In fact, there are a number of soaps that you should avoid at all costs at risk of harming your tattoo. Here’s a basic look at what a good soap looks like:
- Fragrance-free – Fragrances are additives that are added to soaps to make them more appealing to buyers. However, fragrances contain chemicals that can have an adverse reaction when they make contact with your tattoo. Therefore, look for soaps that are fragrance-free.
- Anti-bacterial – Of course, any soap you get for your tattoo must have anti-bacterial properties. Not only will your tattoo be cleaned, but it also prevents the growth and spread of bacteria on your skin.
- Dispenser bottle – While not absolutely necessary, you should look for soap that comes in a dispenser bottle. This ensures bacteria doesn’t make contact with the soap as you handle it.
Taking the above into consideration when buying soap for your tattoo will benefit you greatly. If you want to give yourself the best chance at finding a suitable tattoo soap for you, check out our list of the best soaps for tattoos.
Is Dove Soap Good for Tattoos?
If you use a Dove soap that’s fragrance-free, yes, you can use Dove soap on a new tattoo. If you’re looking for a specific Dove soap recommendation, we suggest the Dove Original Beauty Cream Bar. While it’s not available in a dispenser bottle, you can lather your hands and gently clean your tattoo with your hand if you’re worried about bacteria coming into direct contact with your tattoo. Using the Dove Original Beauty Cream Bar also has the added benefit of gently moisturizing your skin, keeping it soft and smooth.
How to Clean Your Tattoo With Dove Soap
Keeping your tattoo clean and hydrated is imperative for proper healing. If your tattoo gets infected, it can leave permanent scarring once healed, disrupting your ink. Having a tattoo aftercare routine that’s on-point will set you up for the best outcome.
Here’s how you can keep your tattoo clean using a Dove soap:
- Turn the shower to lukewarm and start by washing your hands.
- Wet your tattoo and lather your hands with Dove soap.
- Gently (but with some firmness) rub your tattoo with your soapy hands to clean it and wash away peeling skin and sebum.
- After the shower, pat your tattoo dry with a clean towel or paper towel.
- Apply lotion to the tattoo to keep it hydrated.
Avoid submerging your tattoo in water, like baths and pools. While it may be tempting to go swimming when you get a tattoo in the summertime, it will only set your healing time back.
So, is Dove soap good for tattoos? The answer is yes, but only if you get the right soap. We recommend the Dove Original Beauty Cream Bar soap as it’s scent-free and provides some light hydration. Avoid any scented Dove soaps as they could cause more harm than good.