A new tattoo deserves good care and nourishment in order to look good once it’s healed. Part of this process is the use of a good lotion or moisturizer to keep your tattoo looking fresh and hydrated. However, there are so many lotions and moisturizers out there that it can sometimes be difficult to find one that suits you. In your search, you may be questioning whether NIVEA is a good choice, considering it’s fairly popular and widely found.
Is NIVEA good for tattoos? In this article, we’ll break down the answer to this question and provide you with some helpful tips you can use to ensure you choose the right tattoo lotion.
What Makes the Ideal Tattoo Lotion?
Not every lotion is good for tattoos. In fact, there are some that you should make an active effort to keep away from. Here are a few things that go into making up a good lotion for tattoos:
- Fragrance-free – While the fragrance is a pleasant touch to lotions, the fragrance can actually contain chemicals that can hurt your new tattoo. The chemicals used could cause an allergic reaction.
- Petroleum-free – Lotions with petroleum can suffocate your tattoo and prevent proper airflow.
- Non-comedogenic – Lotions that are non-comedogenic are able to help hydrate your tattoo without clogging your pores, allowing for more effective healing.
- Dispenser bottle – Tubs that require you to dip your finger into the lotion can introduce bacteria. Instead, using a dispenser is recommended as it doesn’t involve your hand touching the surrounding lotion.
If you want to make your search even easier, check out our list of the best lotions for tattoos which takes all of the above factors into consideration.
Can You Use NIVEA on Tattoos?
Yes, NIVEA lotions can be used on tattoos, as long as they’re fragrance-free. The same goes for NIVEA cream for tattoos. It’s also good if it’s petroleum-free, non-comedogenic, and comes in a dispenser bottle.
Our recommended NIVEA lotion for tattoos is the NIVEA Sensitive and Radiant Body Lotion. It’s scent-free and provides up to 48-hours of moisture to your tattoo, keeping it nice and hydrated.
How to Keep Your Tattoo Clean and Hydrated
Using a NIVEA lotion to keep your tattoo hydrated is just one step in your tattoo aftercare routine. A proper tattoo aftercare routine is essential if you want a vibrant and radiating tattoo once healing is complete.
Take a look at this quick guide to keeping your tattoo clean and hydrated:
- Have a shower with lukewarm water (avoid baths, as submerging your tattoo in liquid can cause an infection).
- Gently rub the area with soap for tattoos (fragrance-free) to clear away any blood and flaking skin.
- Pat dry your tattoo with a clean towel or paper towel. Avoid any rubbing motions.
Once your tattoo is dry, apply the NIVEA lotion straight away to lock in moisture. Leaving the tattoo for too long after your shower can cause it to dry out very quickly, potentially prolonging healing times.
Not sure how to apply lotion to your tattoo? This next section will show you how.
How to Apply NIVEA Lotion to Your Tattoo
Applying your NIVEA lotion to your tattoo is super easy and can be done in only a few seconds. It’s important to apply NIVEA lotion to your tattoo at least twice every day while your tattoo is healing (but not too much, as it could suffocate your tattoo).
Here is how you can apply a NIVEA lotion to your tattoo:
- Ensure your hands are clean before starting.
- Apply some lotion to the tattoo area.
- Use your fingers to gently massage the lotion into your tattoo, doing so until the lotion is completely absorbed.
Once the lotion is applied, your tattoo will feel hydrated. The added benefit of applying lotion to your tattoo (during and after healing) is that it makes your tattoo pop with color.
Is NIVEA good for tattoos? Yes, but you must ensure you choose a good NIVEA lotion. Look for a lotion that’s fragrance-free above all else. Shopping for a lotion that’s also petroleum-free and non-comedogenic has additional benefits and complements tattoo aftercare even more. Avoid using any lotions that have a fragrance, as the fragrance can damage your tattoo.
Yes, you can use a NIVEA lotion on your tattoo, as long as it’s fragrance-free. For added benefits, choose a lotion that’s also non-comedogenic and petroleum-free.
It depends on the lotion you use. Generally speaking, if the NIVEA lotion is fragrance-free, it’s a great option. NIVEA lotions are often widely available and very inexpensive.
At least twice a day and always after a shower.